Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinME:how to remove annoying aps on boot up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker1138

Programmer
Jun 13, 2001
US
WinME is new for me....
How do I remove all those annoying aps that boot up every time I power up my system?
I own a compaq 5000, which like every large vendor, comes with TONS of annoying memory-thieving aps that no one really needs. In my lower right hand corner, there's about 10 (!) icons that keep popping up and saying, "UPDATE ME! WHAT, NOT NOW? WHEN SHOULD I REMIND YOU AGAIN? HOW's TOMORROW SOUND?"
I use my computer for mostly music aps, and I want to simplify (strip down) what auto loads at boot up. I tried digging thru autoexec.bat, with no luck, and the help file didn't live up to its name.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Jason
telemetry0@aol.com

right click on your tool bar on the bottom of you desktop go to properties and then start up choose remove from here you should be able to remove any programs that start up with your pc.

Cheers,
Paul Romanek
promanek@lakeshorelearning.com

Im having the same problem in win98 (which this forum is about) and cant get to the auto start programs by right clicking the task bar any other ideas?

Download Startup Log
Its only 29k, standalone, very quick and free.
It produces a text Startup.log which you can open with notebook.
Shows all startup items, registry, *.ini files, registry spawning and stub paths, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys, C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu\Programs, etc...

You can then determine exactly how most app's start.

For items that are active on your system but not executed through any method explained above download PrcView, another tiny, free, standalone application which displays info on all running modules.
smitee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back