Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinME Hangs When Network Cable Connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnthomp

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2001
US
I have several Compaq Deskpro 2000 computers that we have recently upgraded to Windows ME and installed 3Com 3C905B-TXNM network adapters. The BIOS is up to date and all drivers are the most recent that I could locate. However, if a network cable is connected, the computer hangs. This happens if WinME is already running, or on startup if the cable is connected at boot time. It is a hard lockup requiring powering the computer off/on. I have seen information telling me to turn off media detection, but this does not solve the problem; in fact it causes new problems. Any help will be appreciated.

Network cards will often cause conflicts with Power Mangement. Disable all power management on the network card within Device Manager and all power management in the control panel, such as shutting hard disk off or the monitor off. Also, and the most probable, go into BIOS and disable Advanced Power Management. Of course if this works your machine will not automatically shut off, it will stay at the "It is now safe to shut off your computer" screen until you hit the power button. But that may be the only answer.

Why did you upgrade to ME? It is such a piece. Now that it is ME you can only go to XP. Have your upgrade $$$ ready. But on a serious note I agree with the other guys response.

Thanks for the help, but now there is a new problem. They no longer lock up, but they cannot see the network when they are plugged in. Similar machines (Same model and NIC) running Win98 have no such problem. The most current drivers are being used. Yes, I am aware that ME is the BIG problem here, but unfortunately the users have moved in, as it were, already and I do not want to have to redo the entire machine under Win98 (Tried a straight downgrade (or should we say upgrade?) to Win98 and it was unsuccessful, with much of the networking options missing, e.g. the ability to install protocols or services.) Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have ahd similar problems as you have wit one of my friends here at school. He hasd the same os installed and discovered that he was on the wrong domain and when he changed over to the correct domain he accsess time nearly doubled. Also make sure that you are using class A ip addresses becasue it can cause coonlict if you are on a closed network to be running ip over 128.0.0.0 Let me know if anything i mentioned helped, they are all long shots but anything else that i might have suggested has laready been mentioned by previous posts

There is only one answer...get Windows 2000 Pro!!!!!!
I hope you do realize that Windows ME has been voted the worst OS ever by many, many various Tech magazines. One of the other responses to your question said the only place to go now was XP, but don't even think about it unless you like having an unsecure system. 2000 Pro is ROCK SOLID. So what if you can't upgrade and have to do a clean install, it is so F***ing worth it! Just back your stuff up, it's not that hard. YOu do at least have a CD burner, right?? That's all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back