Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinME and Novell client 3.3 - NW 4.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathyrt

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2001
US
I have a Sony VAIO laptop using Windows ME that will connect to our Novell 4.11 network using the Microsoft Client for Netware, but when I install the Netware client -- I've tried 3.1.2 and 3.3 -- it can't find the network. We have several Dell desktops and laptops connecting correctly that are set up with 3.1.2, but they are all running Windows 95 and 98. I have used unc32 when uninstalling the Netware client. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think Novell released a client for Windows ME and windows ME is a home use only Operating system. Microsoft has not built in the proper files for Network Connectivity.

Here is the TID...

Novell Client v3.3 for Windows 95/98 is the latest Windows 95/98 client software release available from Novell. It supersedes all previous Windows 95/98 client releases and contains all of the functionality included in previous clients.

While the Novell Client in many instances does work on the Windows Me platform, it has not been designed for that platform. The Windows Me platform is considered for home use (as indicated in the clip of the press release from Microsoft below) and not business use. The business networking drivers are not included with Windows Me and Microsoft does not support copying files from one Operating System platform to another. For these reasons, Novell can not fully integrate the Novell Client with the Windows Me platform.

Microsoft Announces Immediate Availability Of Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me)
REDMOND, Wash. -- Sept. 14, 2000

"Microsoft's investment in understanding both the needs of customers and the exciting technology trends taking place in home computing are the foundation for Windows Me," said Steve Ballmer, president and CEO of Microsoft. "Windows Me was designed specifically with the home user in mind, and customers will be very pleased with the digital media, home-networking, PC health and online experience enhancements."

This press release can be found in it's entirety at the Microsoft web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document Title: Is the Novell Netware client supported on
Document ID: 10062372

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

I would have to agree with Mark, WinME is purely a home OS. I show my customers the same release that Mark posted, and they understand that it's out of our control. If you back your VAIO down to 98, all should be well, or better yet, upgrade it to 2000 and you will be happy with Microsoft's first stable platform.

-Mike
Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

I had troubles getting NWClient3.30 to see the network on my Dell laptop w/WinME as well. Does it autodetect new hardware when restarting after installing NWClient (that's what mine did)? After reading Novell's forums on the subject, I tried a couple of possibilities. What worked for me was to uninstall the DUN and then do the NWClient install - after that, runs like a champ....

We tried to install the client on two laptops running ME. One installed fine but one wouldn't see the tree. We ended up installing 95 on the problem laptop, installing the client, and then upgrading to ME. This seemed to work fine. It's a messy solution and I'm not sure it would again if I tried it.

i'm working with ME and Novell client 3.30, i have no problem. I also have a laptop and no problems ! is it exeptional ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back