Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winmail.dat attachments in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjack70

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
US
Hello, I am having trouble with Outlook 2003 SP2. When sending pdf attachments as either plain, html, or rich text, the user gets winmail.dat file attachment. I tried just sending as plain, and that still doesn't work. I check all tools options settings and everything looks fine. What else can I check to get this working. It works for some people, but not all. I send this to someone else and they get the pdf attachment.

Have you tried just making sure word is not the email editor as this could be causing the issue?

Yes that was the first thing I checked.

The recipient receiving email are they using Outlook as their email program. Not Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape Messenger or any other mail program. There is an issue with sending messages in rich text format RTF and the recipient not having Outlook to read the messages. This indeed does put a winmail.dat file. A winmail.dat file actually stores all the fonts, size of text, formatting etc when you send an email using Outlook. Therefore if you have a recipent who doesn't have outlook, that is why you get sent the file as an attachment because the mail program cannot read the file. The way around is to change the message format so it sends as plain text only and make sure not using word as email editor.

It is also possible to view the winmail.dat attachment but you will need to download a reader to do so. WMdecode is one but there are others on the market.

The receipant is using Lotus, We are using Outlook 2003 SP 2. I can send to that receipant fine. He gets the PDF attachement. Some one else sends and it just sends at winmail.dat everytime. I changed to plain text and he is still getting winmail.dat file. I made sure that word is not the email editor. What else can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back