Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINLOGON.EXE - PERFORMANCE ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

frond

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
US
I am running a 20 user business system on a sql server through a citrix server. The task manager's processes show several Session ID's using up CPU Usage with the Image Name of Winlogon.exe. What does that mean?

I'd start troubleshooting by trying to pinpoint which users are spiking the Winlogon.exe process. Then contact those users (preferably during the spike) to investigate what exactly they are doing at the time of the CPU increase.

That's the problem, they aren't doing anything. What exactly is the winlogon.exe?

The winlogon.exe handles nt user logons and there should be an instance running for each user logged in. One thing that comes to me as a faint memory was a proglem with winlogon.exe using a great deal of CPU time with Anti-virus software particularly McAfee NetShield.

Do you have anti-virus software running on the server? If so what version is it?

I have a couple of questions for you. What version of Citrix are you running and was this an upgrade from an earlier version? If so, doing an advanced search at the Citrix web site on the phrase cpu usage will reveal some useful articles. We had similar CPU issues with our WAN users after an upgrade to XPa.

Good Luck.

I am running Citrix MetalFrame XPs - SP1. I do have Norton Anti Virus Corp Edition Version 7.6. To my knowledge, this is the original configuration, we have never upgraded.

Try starting and stopping your print spooler, we had a problem with that in the past. Once I stopped and started it, my CPU usage dropped immediately. Seems like I saw a discussion on that either here or at Citrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back