Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wink2K server, win2K work and trying to share out a dialup modem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakorules

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
US
Hey everyone.

I got something I can't figure out if I can do this or not.

I have a Windows 2000 Server setup as a DC, DHCP, and DNS with client logins. It has a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.10

I have another machine that is a Windows 2000 Workstation with a modem installed. I call it the "proxy" computer. It has a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1.

My clients are a mix of Win2K and Win98SE.

I am trying to make my clients able to login to the Win2K server, and have access to the internet via the PROXY computer (ip address 192.168.0.1). Trouble is, it doesn't work.

When I define a preferred DNS in networking / IP settings on the client win2K machines of 192.168.0.10 (the server as the DNS) my win2K clients can login very fast to the server, ... cause the DNS is needed to login at win2K server ..., but internet access fails for those clients.

If I change the preferred DNS in networking / IP settings of the client machine to 192.168.0.1 (the proxy computer with modem installed), then they can browse the internet but then the login screen and getting profiles for all the win2K clients takes like 15 minutes to login..typical...and I understand why, but I want the best of both worlds here.

I know I can fixed this problem by installing the modem on my server, but I don't want too. I'd prefer that I have that "proxy" computer that can be shared and DNS work correctly to the win2K server.

Any suggestions?

Chris Elston
FreeLancer
Home of the How to Build a PC on Video CD-Rom

Here is a possibly fix to your problem. Since you are running DHCP set the DNS server in the DHCP to teh DNS server that is used for your modem with of course the default gateway being your 192.168.0.1. Make sure you have internet connection sharing turned on on your modem. Also make sure that on teh client computers the NICs are set to get all information from the DHCP server That way when you boot up any comptuer attached to your network it will get an IP address, DNS server IP, and gateway IP from DHCP. I used to have teh exact same setup ((then I got cable modem and am running my server for much more than what I used to))

The main reason you probably goin't get to the internet is you probably set the gateway also to the 2K server.

Where is the setting located in my DHCP of my win2K server to define the DNS IP address to give to the clients?

Where is the setting located in my DHCP of my win2K server to define the GATEWAY IP address ot give to the clients?

All my client PC's are configured for DHCP and modem is currently running ICS.

Chris Elston
FreeLancer
Home of the How to Build a PC on Video CD-Rom

If 2k server is DHCP server and 2k pro is running ICS (which makes it act as a DHCP server), haven't you got a conflict on your network?

If you have DHCP Installed go to administratoive tools ((in control panel)) then open up dhcp. Expand your scope and under that should be scope options. Right click on scope options then click configure options. In there it calls the gateway "router" then set that to 192.168.0.1 and further down is DNS Servers and input as many as you want there. then on your client you should be able to just renew your DHCP information (Windows 2K/NT/XP it is ipconfig /renew , 98 I believe it is winipcfg /renew)

2nddawn,

That didn't work.

The only way I can get the client machine to login fast is setup the settings on the client machine like this:

The only way I can get the client machine to access the INTERNET is setup the settings on the client machine like this, but then logins take 20 minutes.

If I setup the client machine like this, the client machine can access the internet, but the login still took over 20 minutes to login to the server.

The server network settings are like this:

I did what you told me on the DHCP here:

I still can't have the best of both worlds.

Let me know if you have anymore ideas.

Thanks!

Chris Elston
FreeLancer

PCI & ISA PC Diagnostic POST CARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back