Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winipcfg

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilEvelyn

Programmer
Feb 17, 2003
GB
I have a machine which will not allow its IP address to be released. I can click on release all as much as I like but nothing happens. No error message, nothing.

I have checked that the network is set to dynamic IP address. I have removed the network settings altogether, removed the TCP/IP protocol, put it all back again and still it won't release the IP.

Does anyone have any idea what the *(&%$^ is going on before I give up and fdisk the machine?

Phil

What happens when you click on release all?

Try to reserve a new IP address out for that machine in your DHCP manager.Then try a "renew all" and see what happens. If that doesn't work reboot and see if it gets assigned the new address then. mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

Remove the computer from your domain.
Unplug the network cable and reboot.
Login locally and open the command prompt.
Type ipconfig and make sure the address is 0.0.0.0
If its not, try typing ipconfig /release_all
Plug in the network cable and type ipconfig /renew_all
If the address renews, add the computer back to the domain and reboot.

This has worked for me in the past (not every time though!)

Regards

The "ipconfig" command is not supported in Win9x, so everything in the above post is irrellevant.

I would boot to safe mode, remove the NIC from device mangler.
Uninstall DUN in add/remove programs/Control panel.
Restart, reinstall the NIC.
Go to Start > Run > and type in: inetwiz
Run the wizard, see what happens. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Let me say right off this might not be your problem but, our DHCP server automatically reassigns the same IP address to the same computer every time it boots. It is not reserved but it seems to "remember" which PC had which IP and gives it back the same one. Unless it runs out of addresses, then it will go back to old ones and reassign them again. So, maybe it is releasing and renewing, only the DHCP is just giving it the same address.

Two other things:
1. Set the PC to grab a specific address when it boots, not DHCP. Of course you will have to find an open one. See if this works.

2. Turn off the PC, go into DHCP and reserve that address for another PC. Then boot the original PC and see what address it gets.

JON

Good point. A DHCP server (router) will keep assigning the same IP, unless another machine takes over that specific IP, then a release and renew would show a different IP.
If the machine is working, why do you care what it's IP is, and why would you think it's not releasing, and I don't see a problem? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I had the same thing happening on 3 computers. When I checked their ip address' they were #.218. #.219, #.220. These computers were giving us a ton of trouble. Same thing, they kept picking up same ip. We deleted this block of addresses from the available list and I haven't heard a word from the users ever since.

For win 98, use "winipcfg" instead of "ipconfig". If you can understand it, you probably don't.

Even if the DHCP server doesn't assign a different IP address, Windows should still let you release it. After hitting "release all", the IP should immediately reset to all 0's.

Phil,
Are you sure that you have the right adapter chosen from the drop-down list at the top of the winipcfg dialog box?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

comtech, I think you'll find that ipconfig is supported by Windows 98 so everything in my post is not irrelevant.

I've used the ipconfig command countless times on Windows 98 laptops.

The reason for the need to clear the IP address is because the DHCP server is an ADSL modem/router which means the stand alone PC must have a certain IP address to be able to communicate with the router.

However, it appears that things are moving on as we have tried to ping the router and evern that won't work. We know it is not the router as we have tried the router on a different Win98 pc and it works fine, also the calbe was checked and thats fine.

We will try the safe mode startup and removing the NIC and DUN and see where that gets us.

It would appear that a router always ‘remembers’ a given MAC Address and will then consistently try to associate it with a consistent IP Address assignment if that address remains available.

On my Linksys router there is an option to display a router’s current status and settings. A further option is to display the ‘DHCP Active IP Table’. Within that, there is an option to delete a given client line item (hostname = IP address = MAC Address).

If you can find a similar option (on your router) to delete a given client, presumably, that opens the possibility of gaining a completely different IP Address (you may have the option or may then need to exclude an IP range to achieve your desired result).

Another possibility may be to do a hardware reset (to factory defaults) on your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back