Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winHttp Posting to a slow server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddWW

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
US
I originated this request in ASP and thought I would get some advice here since I use this object with both technologies.

I am currently posting XML to an HTTP server successfully. However, the HTTP server buffers the response and the processing on there end can take up to 60 seconds. I need to move on with my application after the post has been sent. I have done extensive testing with some very interesting results. Please see the thread below.

thread333-937283

Thanks for your help.

ToddWW

Todd

I need to move on with my application after the post has been sent.

Why not make your posting a separate COM.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

That's interesting? I'm not familiar with how to do that. Can you expand ?

ToddWW

Mike,

That's interesting. Considering that this particular project is running in VFP 7.0, maybe you can help me do that.

Currently, I extract data from a temporary table. The data is grouped by Application group and I need to send (1) one winHttp Post for each application group. So currently, the winHttp Post method is running inside a LOOP. If there are more than one application group(s) that need posting, we generate the XML code for the first, send the post, then loop to the second, send the post, and so on. This is where the "Wait Time" is getting irritating. I would prefer to send the post and move on to the next record group after the post is sent. But it appears that this particular winHttp object won't move on successfully, and accurately, until I receive a response from the receiving server. I would love to push this on to another procedure or something like that but I don't know how to do that without having to wait for the procedure to execute and return to the main program. Again... Waiting.....

ToddWW

Todd.

As I read it on Microsoft's website that is one on the disavantages of WinHTTP, other than the memory leaks. It needs to wait until you are finished before you can move on. But let us assume you need to send data to a server, if you were to create a Muliti-Threaded COM (or a DLL) that does that for you, that would use its own process time and CPU usage, there is nothing stopping you from starting a second instance of the COM for another request to another server.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back