Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wingdings/Webdings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice44

Technical User
Oct 9, 2007
US
Is there a good way in MS Office, ie. Word, to see symbol fonts like Webdings and the various Wingdings so you can insert characters from the font set into a document? I haven't found a simple way to do it and was wondering if I'm missing something.

I know you can get some of the symbols using Insert/Symbol.

I have a workaround for some of the symbols. I opened a blank doc and using each font just typed all upper and lower case displayable keys on the keyboard. I can then cut and paste as needed into a different doc. This doesn't get all of the chars, though.

It seems to be bad planning to include fonts that you can't use, so I'm wondering if I am missing something obvious.

Have you gone to Start > Programs > System Tools > Accessories > Character Map ?

Try that and see if it does what you want.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

It seems to be a very obscure way to do it but it works. Thanks a lot!

When I mentioned this solution to my wife, even more of a novice than I am, she pointed out that if you use Insert->Symbol, there is a font drop down menu where you can pick a font, including Wingdings or Webdings, and insert symbols directly. It was there all along and I just couldn't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back