Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows98SE Exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

josilva

Technical User
Feb 7, 2000
US
I have a 600MHz Pentium III Processor with a VIA chip set. I use the computer two to four hours a day and it has works find with no trouble at all. I use office 2000, VB5, Visual C++, and Borland C++. When Defrag is run at night, the following errors have occurred on my system. Does anyone know why?

An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:c004afb7 in VFAT(01) + 000097fb. This was call from 0028:c004b7e0 in VFAT(01) + 0000a024. It may be possible to continue normally.

*Press any key to attempt to continue.
*Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved
information in all applications.
Press any key to continue.

Pressing any key OR doing a CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing. The system is hung. I must press the RESET button on the computer. Sometimes the system comes right up and sometimes it said “windows was not shutdown properly” and the system scan disk C.
I am almost sure that disk G or H was being defrag at this time.

I also get the next error sometimes.

Afatal exception 0D has occurred at a092:0000a920. The current application will be terminated.

*Press any key to attempt to continue.
*Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved
information in all applications.
Press any key to continue.

Then I press a key and get the following.

The system is either busy or has become unstable. You can wait and see if it becomes available again, or you can restart your computer.

I have waited but, will wait no longer, I have always found that the system is hung and the RESET button must be press. Again, sometimes the system comes right up and sometimes it said “windows was not shutdown properly” and the system scan disk C.

If anyone has some insight on the problem, please help. If anyone need more info just ask.

Thanks
Joe
[sig][/sig]

How many physical hard drives do you have?

Is anything else running while defrag runs? (check the ctrl-alt-delete list). Try shutting down everything you possibly can before running defrag. If it still fails try the same exercise with scandisk. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back