Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows98-uninstall via add/remove does not remove installed files

Status
Not open for further replies.

techkate

Programmer
Feb 23, 2004
US
Using Wise, I have created an msi package to install a few applications. My problem is in regards to using the 'Remove' button for my installation on the Add/Remove Programs menu.
In Windows XP and 2000, the uninstall is successful (i.e. item was removed from Add/Remove menu, removed from Registry, removed installed files).

However, in Windows 98 (most likely 95 and ME as well), the item is removed from the Add/Remove menu, and the registry, but the installed files are not removed.

The Uninstall String for this program is
Code:
msiexec.exe /x{GUID}
, where GUID is the product code. This is the explicit uninstall switch for msiexec.exe. Earlier, I had been using /i in place of /x, but it would completely crap out in 98 and would accomplish nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

This problem wasn't related to the uninstall. I had configured the remove button to be disabled, and the modify button to be enabled. Turns out (should have been common sense) that I had to initially enable the Remove button and the Modify button, then during the Exection sequence, disable ARPNOREMOVE if the WindowsBuild property was greater than 2195. This ensures that the remove button is removed from Win2K and up, and that it is enabled for Windows NT and lower, since they have the old school add/remove programs menus.

Both the Remove and Modify buttons must be enabled for WinNT and lower, as Remove is the only option these OS's have. Clicking the Remove button in this case will launch the same window that clicking the Change button in Win2K and up would launch.

And for an additional note, I find the WindowsBuild property much for useful than VersionNT. WindowsNT qualifies as VersionNT (obviously). However, for cases like this, and rebooting, I believe WinNT should be included with the 9x group, rather than the 2000/XP group. So I sometimes base OS-related conditions on build 2195 (Win2K build). If the WindowsBuild is < 2195, then the OS WinNT or lower. If it's >= 2195, then the OS is Win2K or up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back