Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows98 and flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt436

Programmer
Apr 26, 2002
US
I am running Windows 98 and put a flash drive into my USB socket. But I can't get my PC to recognize this new piece of hardware.

Do I need to install a driver?? And if so, where can I download the correct driver???

Walt436 said:
Do I need to install a driver??
Yes. You will probably need to install the drivers and associated files and reboot before it's detected.

Walt436 said:
where can I download the correct driver???
The simple answer is the manufacturer's website.
Hopefully there's a Win98 driver - was nothing supplied with flash drive?

Iechyd da! John.
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

if you reboot with the device in the port wha happens....win should detect it and possibly supply a driver or ask you to insert a disk for drivers

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

The other possiblility is that your computer's usb ports do not supply enough power to power the flash drive. In which case you would need either a power adapter for the drive or a usb hub. Although flash drives should not take much power to run so I would check to make sure all the drivers and software required are installed. And make sure the usb ports your connecting to is installed and enabled in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back