Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows2000 server slooowww on reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eti

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
US
When restarting W2000 Server it takes about 45 minutes to restart. Service pack 1 was installed and the problem is still occuring. Any suggestions?

Need more info. Like Processor, RAM, HDD type and speed, Mainboard. Then we can begin to diagnose your problem

Additional information: Processor=Pentium ll, 400MHz, 64mg RAM, 100MHz FSB, 512 secondary cache, and G8EIDE HD. This server is an single application server only.

Have you re-installed the OS? If you have and the problem remains upgrade to 256meg of RAM. If that fails I would start looking at the hardware configuration piece by piece. How full is the harddrive? What services are you running?

I have had the same experience with the long start ups. After much investigation with no explainable reason for this problem, I finally came to the conclusion that the problem came from upgrading from the last beta to the release product. I had to completely start over using a clean install. I did notice some irregularities concerning Active Directory in the system logs saying that the two domain controllers could not update each other. This I attributed to the upgrade path that I took. I also had one server multihomed, running Wins and Dns. This is not a good thing and may have contributed to the problem. I got several improper bad DNS records that caused some nasty problems with the network. I don't think it's a hardware problem though. It is probably one or two services that are failing to start because they are dependent on another service starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back