Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows10 Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcdeiter

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2013
US
I have a dual boot desktop (Windows10 Pro & Windows7 Ultimate).
I have no problems with Windows7.
My Windows10 will constintley drop my internet connection with no error. I have to reboot to again gain access to the internet.
On very few ocassions the connection will remain until I reboot at which time the same problem happens.
I have updated the device drivers for Windows10 but the problem continues.
Any suggestions on what may be causing this problem or how to resolve it would be appreciated.
Thank you.

What kind of ethernet card do you have? Is it wired or wireless? If wireless is it dual band (2.4MHz and 5MHz) or single band?

Atheros PCI-E gigabit ethernet controller card plus 902.11n wireless lan card. Dual band. I lose the connection on both the ethernet card and the wireless card. If I have a USB wireless card running I also lose the connection to that. None of this happens when I have booted to Windows7 Ultimate. Very seldom will I retain the connection for more than 15 minutes in Windows10 Pro. I must reboot to gain internet access again. No luck with any troubleshooting. I also reboot the router with no luck.

Some things to try:
1. Disable the wifi in device manager and try ethernet only. Probably won't make a difference.
2. Disable IPV6 in network stack to see if it makes a difference. Probably won't make a difference.
3. Post output of ipconfig /all from CMD prompt for both machines BEFORE step 4
4. Set a static ip address and set DNS servers to something like 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9

Unfortunately none of the suggestions have worked. The problems continues.

Get an Intel card. My answer to nasty NIC issues for the last 30 years in IT. Why waste more time with the aggravating issue.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

It's not logical that a wifi card would work just fine in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10 so that's not great advice from a sense. But...... it might be the easiest way to actually solve the problem.

If a new card doesn't work, then you have to think about taking a hammer to the computer.

I was trying to say "not great advice from a troubleshooting sense". But that's not always the goal. The goal being success!

If there were an issue with the nic card and not the wireless lan card or USB wireless adapter I would have replaced it immediately. However I can disable the nic card and use only the wireless or USB adapter and still have the problem. However I will give it a try.

It's not logical that a wifi card would work just fine in Windows 7"
There could be a small tweak for Win 10, even if it is the same driver which is causing the issue so it is not illogical. Was not pointing to the card but the driver.

Popular Mechanics, 1949

I knew that's what you meant. But I thought that normally if they don't have a specific driver for a device, they just port the driver from Win 7 forward and use that. That's assuming it's using a Microsoft driver embedded in the operating system.

I think the OP said he tried "updating the device drivers". But is there a driver that you can get directly from the wifi card manufacturer web site? That would be the last thing to do unless it's already been checked.

Just wondering - is your wifi dual band? Is it using the 5K instead of 2.4K signal or does it switch between the two.

The symptom was losing connectivity. It would be weird if the W10 driver caused a problem with one band and the Win7 did not. Could disable 2.4 on the router and try 5GHz alone and then vice versa. I would imagine this is not the problem, but at this point why not try it and it's FREE vs. buying a new card.

So I ordered a new NIC card. Low and behold before it even arrived suddenly my problem is gone. I have rebooted several times and have had no reoccurrance of the issue. I will keep the NIC in the avvent the problem returns. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

Well, that's why computer guys are stressed out - illogical problems that come and go. I hope your problem stays away. But, why would it be fixed.

Over the 59 years I chased problems those weird ones added spice to life. Used to say that my opening the tool bag was sometimes enough to scare machines into working correctly. The percussion instrument of choice was a one pound ball-pein hammer used in percussive maintenance.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well, that's why computer guys are stressed out - illogical problems that come and go. I hope your problem stays away. But, why would it be fixed. "

Thoroughly agree about the stress
A possibility, one of Microsoft great updates caused the issue, and a newer one which just came in fixed it... that possibility seems to occur too often lately.

"The percussion instrument of choice was a one pound ball-pein hammer used in percussive maintenance. "

My friend's percussion instrument of choice is either a .357 or deer slug, works wonder to relieve stress.

Popular Mechanics, 1949

I'm just surprised that nobody suggested looking at Win 10's default power saving settings which can effect both ethernet adapters (e.g. PCI-e Link State Management) and radio - both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth... (and USB). I would have asked what power plan was in use and taken it from there... just a thought.

Good point. It is often on "maximum power saving". Easy thing to change to "maximum performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back