Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP workgroups LAN/Wireless 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

melsy

Technical User
Jul 2, 2007
AU
I can't seem to get a workgroup to be visable. I am running a desktop LAN cable to a Dlink g604t modem/router and a laptop with a dwl g122 usb adapter to the same modem both xp professional operating system.
I have tried using the ms wizard to create a work group but they don't seem to see each other.
Do you know how I can reconcile this? I'm confused by the DHCP, DNS, and LAN ip addresses in the router and can't seem to ping the computers.

Have you set both computers to automatically obtain their IP address and DNS settings? What firewall are you using on the computers? It may be blocking ICMP, as well as file sharing and etc. Is Internet access working fine? Check these out for guided help.

- Adding XP to an Existing Network

- XP Simple File Sharing

- XP File Sharing (Simple File Sharing Disabled)

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

Thanks LogicallyLogical.

There was some kind of bug in my explorer so in the end I reinstalled windows and followed the links you suggested (I had done this previously but whenever I right click in explorer doctor watson sent a message to ms and everything shut down).

I can see files on all computers allocated to a new workgroup and I am greatful for your help. I did disconnect all the fire walls for now.

Thankyou for the tips.

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back