Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP won't start with my Ti4200 anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtremeNerd

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
Suddenly, and for no reason that I can think of at all, XP won't start with my graphics card. The screen just goes black after it has shown the start up logo. I've formated and reinstalled to no avail, as soon as I install the nvidia drivers, windows won't start anymore. If I go to safe mode it says that the graphics card is causing system instability. It works fine in 98 and 2000, but not XP. I've installed various different versions of the drivers, but it's always the same. It's weird, because it has worked fine for about half a year, then suddenly it stops.

Anyone know what the reason may be and how to fix it? Thanks for any help.

Try the card in another machine - complete the process of elimination.

<?legalstuff
The above is my opinion only and should not be construed as the opinion of my employer.
?>

i learned from first hand xpirience that such unexplainable phenomena can be solved be reseating your hardware. unplug it, and snap it in again. before you do, be sure to uninstall the video card and DELETE all the existing drivers! its important.

also, did you try the WHQL drivers?

lastly, did you install any new hardware? it might be a hardware conflict as you probably know. can you boot in safe mode after installing the problematic drivers? if you can, check for hardware conflicts.

I've tried unplugging the hardware with no drivers installed and all that. Didn't help. There are no hardware conflicts either I don't think. I didn't install anything new when it stopped working, and I even tried plugging out all hardware not neccessary to start the computer (soundcards, netword cards, cdroms, a hard drive, etc.). Still no good. Really weird! I haven't checked in safe mode if there are any conflicts though, I'll go do that, but I really doubt there is. After all, it works in other operating systems.

What are WHQL drivers? I downloaded the drivers off nvidia.com.

I don't have access to another computer to try putting the card in at the moment. I guess it could be a problem with the card itself.

Thanks for the help, you have any other ideas?

WHQL certified drivers are gueranteed to work with windows, those are the drivers tested by microsoft quality labs.

go to the nvidia driver archive

or get there by going to the regular driver download page and clicking Windows XP/2000 Driver Archive (assuming that you have been dowloading from the XP/2K page). the link is on the left side of the page.

there, download the latest drivers that say WHQL Certified. the latest are

Windows XP/2000
Version: 40.72
Release Date: November 8, 2002
WHQL Certified

try to install these. if they work, performance wont be as great and they wont be as compatible as the newer drivers, but they might work.

lastely, you can always reinstall XP.

i have this same problem with my geforce 420 mx what i finaly figured out after 2 years of rigging it adn unconnecting teh card back and forth is remove it let ur embedded card start windows shutdown install card but dont connect restart let windows isntrall some old drivers (im using xp by the way)get teh lastest drivers from teh nvidia site who cares if they are certified run ur exe for the drivers but do not install them using the program nvdia gives u cancel that go to ur adpater properties where it ask install uninstall rollback drivers blah update them that way itll ask u for a location give them the one nvidia sent them to mine was c\nvida let it get them from there i know i might be consufing cause im high but just follow go into ur system devices disale on board card itll ask u to reset cancel and shutdown hook up nvidia card and it should boot i had the same problem it would come on then shut off or use my tv output intead of my monitor...stupid xp hope this helps

oh use the advanced have disk option or xp will just never find teh drivers in the nvidia folder stupid stupid xp

I had similar problem ended up buying a new PC only to find out the dumb software company had given me a corrupted WinXP ... MA3D it was called, could download 7GIG of corrupted programmes for 50$ (legally - student offer)

Start XP in safe mode, open dev. manager and uninstall your display adapter. Restart normally and all will be well.

I think I got the same prob and have tried all I can think of. It's important to note the system is not crashing it's just shutting down the monitor when XP starts, I'v tried your sugestions, they do not work. Using old drivers works to a degree, I get a picture, but the system is wholy unstable and newer drivers all switch off the monitor. Any more ideas, a picture whould be nice. Oh and it works fine in Safe Mode, and VGA Mode (unless you change a setting :) ).

My system is : (don't laugh too hard I know it's junk)
asus p5a-b running a AMD k6-2 300 (overclocked to 350)
192 MB of RAM
and a Geforce 4 MX440SE 64MB

Oh My old GF2 MX 400 worked great till I popped a chip ;)

Same problem on 2 PC's. In ther first case I tried diferent Nvidia cards (TNT2, Geforce2, Geforce4), always the same problem.
I removed the drivers and the inf file (so winXP wouldn't try to install again) and the machine work fine in VGA mode for severel months (the owner needed to work, in office).
The finall solution? a new Motherboard, I think it was the AGP slot.
Now I have another one with the same problem..... I will a PCI card and if I can a ATI card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back