Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP won't install on new drive but Vista or Windows 7 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwefan

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
US
Hi, I just replaced a drive in my Dell Vostro 220 with a WD 1TB black hard drive. I have a few oem Dell XP pro disk here with service pack 2 and 3 on them but they will not instlal. It starts to load the drivers and every time comes up with a different error message with a file missing or corrupted.
If I put in one of my Vista or Windows 7 disk they install no problem. Any ideas? I can only use XP because I have registered the other software before. XP came with a few of my Dell systems and in the past would work.

usually when XP install falters like that, then suspect two things:

1. a damaged install CD.
[tab]try using another.

2. bad memory.
[tab]run a memory diagnostic program, one should be on your W7 DVD....

things you could also attempt:

if you have more than 2gB mem, reduce the mem to 1GB and attempt to install from there...

if you have access to a non Dell OEM XP CD, then use it instead...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

You can look at the Settings in the Bios to do with things like AHCI or IDE, in relation to XP I don;t think it likes AHCI as a setting?

Vista laptop with same drive cannot install XP
thread779-1428969

Why is Format greyed out in WinXP 'Manage' ?
thread779-1509384

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back