Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp vs windows server 2003/2008 for 11gR2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

raygg

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
I am doing a data warehouse database upgrade from 10.2 to 11.2 as a graduate project and the university IT staff wants to upgrade the hardware and possibly the OS. We estimate that mirrored 1.5 TB drives in a standalone workstation form running an 11gR2 database with about 5 instances will fit the needs for this project.

Now it is running on a small profile windows xp desktop about 3-4 years old with a 450gb internal hd plus a 1 TB portable drive. The 450gb hd is full and not mirrored.

I think that a windows server os would be better for this, if for no other reason than it can support 4gb memory whereas XP tops out at 3gb and it would support vitual systems better.. Beyond that I do not know enough about the internals of server vs desktop technology to win an argument. We are given the option of using windows 7 enterprise, windows server 2003 or windows server 2008 in the new workstation.

Would 64 bit be better than 32 bit?

We've discussed using 11g compression and have estimated a 5x-8x compression factor as the data is loaded with largely numerical dimension columns that have a high frequency of zeros.

The dw is planned for longterm research for 10 - 20 years.

Any recommendations on hardware,compression, 32 vs 64 bit, or the os?

Windoze server 2008, 64 bit.

My 2c.
[noevil]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Linux 64 would be best, but of the solutions you have use Windows sever 2008, 64 bit.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

If you do have a choice, I absolutely agree with Bill. Linux 64 would be best.
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

We are still struggling with the 3 gig limit on our HP servers. If I had the choice, I'd never use anything but 64 bit, it just makes life so much easier.

Also, if your application has to scale in the future, you can efficiently add memory to the 64 bit system with no problem. The same is not true of 32 bit beasties.

Regards

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back