Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP using Terminal Services causes CPU to pop at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojocream

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
US
I'm mangaging a network. Several users use Terminal Services during weekends and nights to do some work. Windows 2000 Small Business Server. Works flawlessly, with the following exception. One user with a Windows XP Home laptop. She uses Terminal Services.. within moments, the Server starts to lock up(or go to an amazing crawl) cpu reports at 100%. we disbaled the culprit app that reported 100% cpu usage. well, now another program is using 100% cpu. We had that user use another computer (non-XP) and no problems. I am awaiting for a time to test the terminal service from a pc at the office (xp professional)..

If it happens with my XP machine.. anyone know how to fix this wackyness? If it locks up with my xp machine. is it an XP issue or is it a server issue?

This seems very very strange.

thanks for the input in advance.

I have seen this when there is some sort of networking problem and a particular server is waiting for a reply from another computer or printer.

To be really sure you need to install another XP box and compare, if the second box is OK check the config. Another issue is what printer is installed on the client and whether bi-directional printing is set to on (this is not supported). Be sure that the correct printer driver has been installed on the server.

XP uses the Remote Desktop Connection and is generally better than the TS client for printing issues, however, it could be too clever!

Check your event log for errors connecting to printers etc.

You might want to compare the network config of both clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back