Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP transfer to new computer possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRBOps

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
I'm running Windows 98SE now. If I upgrade to Windows XP, and then later build a new computer, can I "move" the OS to the new one? In other words, deinstall it off the old one and install it on the new one?

As I understand it,XP registers itself with your existing components and won't work with major hardware upgrades.

As far as I am aware you should have no problems with installing the OS on another PC, hardware upgrades or installing it onto a new PC should not make any difference. The only time you might have a problem is if you are using a pirated/cracked serial number and try to upgrade the OS with a service pack, at which point it will just give you a message saying that you are using a cracked serial number and stop installing the service pack.

I would recommend (and many others agree) that you do a clean install from Win98SE instead of an upgrade. You will have less problems doing it that way.

Hope thats of some help

Naiku

Make sure you are using a full XP package, not an OEM version. If you reinstall it to another machine in the future, or even if you just upgrade say your processor, the software will refuse to work until you reactivate it with Microsoft. They will not assist you in reactivating an OEM product, only aftermarket. You will probably have to call Microsoft and explain the situation after you get the error message upon trying to activate the product on the new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back