Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP TCP/IP removed in regedit

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaaski

ISP
Feb 19, 2003
GB
Hey All.
A Friend was advised by an un-named ISP to remove the TCP/IP and WINSOCK2 keys in windows XP regedit. On the startup of the system she was advise to START | CONNECTIONS | SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS | PROPERTIES OF DUN CONNECTION | NETWORKING | CHECK TCP/IP BOX | RESTART SYSTEM.
This has since caused RAS error 720 (Your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP control protocols).
I have run both netshell fixes: netsh ip reset resetlog.txt and NETSH at prompt then DUMP and both of them have worked correctly but have not resolved her issues. I have thought about running the XP CD install repair but A Friend lives miles away and she has no XP CD but can get her hands on one. :(
Would very much appreciate any support offered
cheers \\spaaski\

Remove and reinstall the TCP/IP protocol suite. This may put the reg keys back in.

Hey thanks Wookalar for the aadvise but apparently netshell reset is suppose to have already done this and not forgetting this is XP OS which means you can only do the un and re-install of drivers for the networking section of DUN properties.

I am getting pretty desparate now for a reso.

Thanks [thumbsup2] \\spaaski\ [thumbsup2]

Cheers smah

I have done this already, but not the Service Pack. Will let you know.

\\spaaski\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back