Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP System Sound Settings Carry Over to NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulty

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
US
We log into a windows domain that used to only feature NT workstations, but now includes a Windows XP Pro machine.
I logged into the domain with the XP machine, and the next time I logged into the domain on an NT machine, none
of the standard system sounds worked. I took a look, and all the sounds were pointing to XP sounds, which of
course were not on the NT machine (i.e. Windows XP Ding.wav). Any idea why this happened? This doesn't appear to have happened with
any of the other people who have logged into both the NT and XP machines.

• If users will not log on to computers running Windows NT 3.x, then the user profile path does not need a file name. If users will log on to computers running Windows NT 3.x as well as to computers running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP, then the user profile path must contain a file name. The file name can be that of a roaming user profile (.usr) or a mandatory user profile (.man), such as:

\\Airedale\Profiles\Clerks.man

• If users will log on only to computers running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the user profile path should be to a folder name and should not include an extension of .usr or .man. If the folder specified in the user profile path does not exist, it is automatically created the first time the user logs on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back