Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP SP2 - slow Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGz

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
HR
Hello!

After I reinstalled WinXP Pro (fresh new installation) with SP2 my Internet connection slowed down. At first I thought that my provider was the problem, but I asked my neighbour and he said that everything is OK.
The only difference after reinstall is Service Pack 2 - I installed it because I bought original WinXP Pro. All other programs and hardware are the same, but modem runs usually at 33.6 - compared to cca 44.6 before reinstall.
Thanx in advance!
GoGz

Lucky you, my modem went down completely after I installed SP2 ;) For me it helped to reinstall modem drivers.

Hi GoGz!
I've done almost the same thing .. and my modem recieved a major speed-up from 50.666 to 52k or even pure 56k !!!

tough luck for you, I say..
you live in Pazin maybe!? :)

Say hallo to that funny neighbour of your's for me, willya!? :-D tnx...

greets,
Marko 9A6NCM

From the web:

1. control panel- phone and modem options
2. under modem tab click properties
3. Diagnostics- note the hardware ID value
and write it down
(e.g. PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2014&SUBSYS etc...)
4. now go to C:\windows\system32\inf
5. look for mdmcxsf2.inf
!!!IMPORTANT!!!- backup this file before doing anything in case u need to put it back!!!
6. open with notepad
7. look for the value you noted it step 3
8. delete the line
9. save
10. go to control panel again- phone and modem options- modem- this time click REMOVE- yes
11. then click ADD-(DO NOT put a check mark on the lower field- then click NEXT
12. WINXP will now automatically choose the driver before SOFTV90 or the next closest driver matching ur hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back