Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP SP2 killed USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeBon

Instructor
Jan 31, 2004
US
After installing Windows XP SP 2 My USB ports do not work. They are listed in device manager WITHOUT yellow exclamation marks, but my USB hub and my Microsoft wireless optical mouse will not work. The mouse cursor is frozen on the screen. I tried putting in a ps2 mouse and it won't work either. Any ideas so appreciated. Thanks, JaeBon

I finally got my USB ports working through the power management property of the USB hub. Now my only problem is that my Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse will not work. It has power as the green light on the part plugged into the computer is green. However, after uninstalling and reinstalling the software several times, removing the mouse from device manager and reinstalling it, the cursor remains frozen.

1. Are you able to test the wireless mouse on another PC or laptop? I know you're pretty certain it's OK, but this would clarify that for sure.

2. Upgrade to SP3.

3. Have you tried a different USB port? Also move from the front to the back (or vice versa).

4. In Device Manager, click on "View -> Show hidden devices". Sometimes this will populate items that were once installed but not currently active (you might also see them in safe mode). Remove any USB devices that you see that aren't currently connected or working.

5. Reinstall the chipset driver for your motherboard.

6. In the BIOS, make sure legacy USB is enabled.

7. If everything else fails, go ahead and try resetting your BIOS settings to their defaults. Also with your Windows XP CD, you can try a repair by following the instructions under Method 2: Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD in the following MS article:

[tab]
~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back