Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP SP2 can't connect to Windows 95 share

Status
Not open for further replies.

giaccotto

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
NL
Hi all,

I've got a problem with connecting to a Windows 95 share from a Windows XP SP2 machine.

The Windows 95 computer has a share that works fine. Other systems (win95/win98/winnt) can connect to the share. Now I've replaced an old Windows 95 machine for a new Windows XP SP2 machine. This machine however can't see the windows 95 computer in the network neighborhood and also cannot connect to the share (also tried net use command). Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Extra info:
* Windows XP SP2 has no firewall enabled, also no third-party one
* I've already tried installing NetBios on Windows XP
* TCP/IP Node type is set to 1
* LMHOSTS file is filled in
* I can ping the windows 95 machine on both his name and ip
* All computers are in the same workgroup
* Windows 95 machine also can't see the windows xp machine
* I've spent for more than an hour on google :-(

Thanks,

Ruben

Did you remember to share something on the 95 machine?

Regards,
David.

The Windows 95 computer has a share that works fine"

Sorry, I should have read your post two more times.

David.

Look at things like Enabling the Guest Account on XP and turning on Simple File Sharing (Folder Options/ View), Same Username and Passwords for both machines.

See if the basics here are of any use?

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Also check your dns suffix. XP seems to put a DNS suffix of mshome.net. I've found that setting this on all the other PCs magically brings the network to life - that works on workgroups without a DNS server too. I know it is a bit strange but it seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back