Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP sharing Win98 ICS connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bytemaster34

Programmer
May 22, 2003
CA
I'm having trouble getting my Windows XP computer to use my Windows 98SE Internet conenction.

I have a 56k dial-up connection, shared using Windows 98SE internet connection sharing. I don't beleive that ICS in Win98 has a DHCP server feature, so I've got all of my machines set up with manual addresses.

I do have a router, that I use simply as a switch.. it was actually cheaper than buying a switch after the rebate :) It is a SMC7004VBR, and it offers a DHCP server but I have it turned off. I don't see how this could affect the operation of ICS.

My other computer is running Windows XP Pro. It is connected to the switch/router which is in turn connected to the NIC on my 98 computer. My third PC does not need the Internet but it also on the router.

I have tried setting the "Automatic detect settings" checkbox both on and off (on XP box), and I've tried setting my gateway IPs to the IP of the 98 computer, to no avail.

I got ICS to work over a cross-over cable before- I just wonder why it isn't working anymore.

Thanks everyone!

From Steve Winograd's site:
Enter the following information into your TCP/IP Control panel for the NIC in your Sharing computer:

IP address: set to 192.168.0.1 *** Must be this and this only!!!

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WINS Configuration: Disable WINS resolution

Gateway: Make sure there are NO entries.

DNS Configuration: Leave this alone
DNS settings apply to all NICs in a given computer, so you can't set them differently for the LAN NIC.
If your ISP has assigned you a static IP address, this will probably be enabled and other information will be filled in when the first NIC was set up.
If your ISP uses DHCP to assign you an IP address, then this will probably be disabled because the DHCP server takes care of giving your computer the DNS and Gateway server information it needs.
At any rate, don't change the DNS setting.

Bindings: Check Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks if you don't have any other protocol (NetBeui, IPX/SPX) installed and bound to these items. Otherwise uncheck both these items so that you do not have either item bound to TCP/IP.

Advanced: make sure the "Set this protocol to be the default protocol." is checked.

NetBios: no changes.

TCP/IP Settings for the NIC in the Client Computer

You may need to change the following settings once you install Sharing, but they'll get you started so that you can test your network:

IP address: set to 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254.
Each computer needs to have a different IP address.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WINS Configuration: Disable WINS resolution

Gateway: set to 192.168.0.1

DNS Configuration: set to Disabled

Bindings: Check Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks if you don't have any other protocol (NetBeui, IPX/SPX) installed and bound to these items. Otherwise uncheck them.

Advanced: make sure the "Set this protocol to be the default protocol." is checked.

NetBios: no changes.
That should be it for TCP/IP installation.

Thank you for all that information!

My router's ip is 192.168.2.1 and while configuring it, I changed all my IP's to 192.168.2.*. Which I suppose is my problem.

Thanks very much for your help.

Hi I'm back... can't get it to work.

I've bound TCP/IP to the dial-up, to the NIC, and to ICS.

I've cleared the gateways on my ICS computer. It's IP for the NIC is 192.168.0.1 and for the dial-up adaptor and ICS it is the 'obtain automatically' option.

I've checked "Set this protocol to be the default protocol" in my TCP/IP -> NIC advanced page.

On my XP computer, whose IP is 192.168.0.3, I have the subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0 and gateway set to 192.168.0.1.

I've changed the router's IP so that it is in the same subnet also, not that it's participating in this little fiasco anyway.

I do not know much about the router.

But:

If it has an SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) feature, disable it.

If it has a choice between router and Gateway mode, select router.

If it has a DMZ feature, put 192.168.0.1 as a value.

If it lets you assign a LAN IP to the router, set it to 192.168.0.254, subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.1

This may take a little tinkering. But you are close.

(and if anyone tells you the above settings are just for the WAN interface, they are essentially dead dog right. But lets get them out of the way as an issue.)

I followed your above suggestions. My router's SPI is now off, and its internal IP address is 192.168.0.254. It does not allow me to set a subnet mask.

I've also now used the Windows XP ICS troubleshooter but naturally it wasn't too helpful.

The only odd thing about the whole situation is that I had a win2000 computer running off of the exact same Win98 ICS host. The difference was that it was over crossover cable instead of the router. But the router, as you mentioned, shouldn't make any difference at all. So it must be an issue with Windows XP. Or maybe I've changed a setting on my WIn98 computer accidentally, or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Thanks again for your help.

I'm thinking.

Check tomorrow late afternoon.

Bill

Windows 98 does have a DHCP server feature and, from my experience, it really helps if you let the Win98 ICS machine choose all of your IP addresses dynamically.

Anyways, the thing to do is start from scratch with your network properties. Yeah, laugh it up...I know it seems you've come so far but I’m almost certain this is a solution... this is pretty much a complete walkthrough:

Go into your windows 98 machine, go into network properties, and remove EVERYTHING in there. Reboot the machine, let windows recognize the adapters and protocols you have installed (be prepared to insert the win98 CD and maybe some driver cds. and YES, do replace any newer driver files with the older ones from your win98/drivers cds). It will reboot again. When you go into Network Properties now, there should be nothing except Client for Microsoft Networks, Dial up Adapter, your network card, and TCP/IP Protocols for the Dial up adapter and your network card (and any other cards/adapters you may have in your computer will show up too. We’re not concerned with those. And if there is Windows Logon, get rid of it). Leave the dial up adapter settings completely alone. In the network card properties (the one that will be giving the internet to your other machines through your router), set the IP address to 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. WINS should be disabled, and there shouldnt be any Gateways or anything else (the rest should be default settings). You'll have to reboot again. After reboot, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and click the Windows Setup tab. Highlight Internet Tools and click details. Check the Internet Connection Sharing check mark and hit ok. It should install everything you need and setup the rest for you. Make sure you follow the on-screen instructions and select the right adapters for their purpose when asked. You do not need to make a client disk because you do not want to use it. After a reboot, your Win98 network properties will now have internet connection sharing protocols and an adapter. The network card should still be 192.168.0.1 and dial up should still be set to automatically get an ip address. The TCP/IP protocol for your Dial-up Adapter should have the word “(sharing)” next to it now. This computer is DONE!

For the XP machine: view your network connections. On my machine, I have to Bridge my 1394 Connection and the Local Area Network Connection that is connected to my other machine for ICS to work. So make sure both connections are enabled, highlight them both, right click, and go to Bridge Connections. This will automatically bridge them for you. Right click on your network bridge and go to properties. You should have the 1394 and LAN connection in the top box, and protocols, etc. in the bottom box. In the TCP/IP settings, just obtain an IP Address and DNS server automatically. The Alternate Configuration should be automatic too. In the General > advanced settings, for IP Settings, nothing should be there except “DHCP Enabled.” There should be no gateways and have an automatic metric. In DNS tab, there again should be none in that box. The “append primary…” and “append parent…” settings should be checked and not “append these DNS…”. There’s no DNS suffix. Check “Register this connection…” and uncheck (if not already unchecked) “Use this connection’s DNS…” For the WINS tab, there should be nothing in the box for addresses to use. “Enable LMHOSTS” should be checked and the “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP” needs to be checked! In your options tab, the TCP/IP Filtering properties should have IP filtering disabled and the bullets should be set to permit all ports everywhere. OK all of these settings and go back into Network Connections…right click and disable all of your connections. Then go back and re-enable them all. This will reset your IP address to whatever the Win98 machine wants it to be. If you go to ‘run’ and type ‘cmd’, the type ‘ipconfig’, your IP should now be 192.168.0.x with gateway 255.255.255.0. (only do the disable/enable part if the router is setup right and the computers are connected…you need to do the below first actually). That should be everything for that machine!

If your router really works as a switch, then you should only use it for switching capabilities in this scenario. Don’t plug the windows 98 machine into the Cable modem or the DSL uplink of the router. Just put it in the same set of ports as your other machines with nothing but straight through cables (all the wires colors are in the same order on one end of the wire as they are on the other end of the wire.). This way, it should work as a switch and you shouldn’t even need to worry about setting up the router if I’m not mistaken. It should just act to forward packets between the machines. If that’s the case, you should be in business. Now you can disable and re-enable all of your XP Network Connections.

If the router doesn’t work like that, try plugging the XP machine directly into your Win98 machine with a straight-through cable and see if that works. If you setup your machines like I said above, I damn near guarantee you that it will work. I have seen many times a 98 machine with ICS that would suddenly stop sharing the internet. All the settings look ok, but it just wont work. Removing all the protocols and adapters from the Network Properties on the 98 machine resets whatever went bad and always has fixed it for me.

If you need to add any more machines, just have them set up to obtain an IP address automatically and enable DHCP. That’s how easy it really is.

Note: to be safe, make sure every machine is in the same workgroup. Just make up a name such as ‘workgroup’ or ‘home’ or ‘raviolimeat’…it doesn’t matter as long as you are consistent. Have some fun, be creative! If you need to know how to do this, let us know. I know you need them the same for file/printer sharing (that’s another story), but I cant remember if you do for ICS or not. I think no, but better safe than sorry! And when the win98 logon screen comes up, you have to hit OK and not Cancel for file/printer sharing to work. Again, I cant remember for ICS and I think not….but yeah. The router is kind of scaring me though…I really hope it acts as a switch that doesn’t need setup or an IP address…oh I hope i hope….8 port switches are like less than $20 US at pricewatch.com though as a last resort. I’m sure it would work going into a router that needs some setup though. Much luck to you…much pain in my neck…time to stretch.

Thanks crazy888s for your suggestion. I will try that today or tomorrow, and I think that it will probably work!

Question: why do I need to bridge my 1394 connection? I have 2 1394 connections, one of which I use for a digitial camcorder. I shouldn't need to do that should I?

I know the router works as a switch because I've been using file sharing very well over it. And network games as well, not to mention that I can ping any PC from any other PC.

I know my cables are straight through because I crimped them myself. I do think that the router also has one of those "intelligent" sensing things so that it doesn't matter anyway. And yes, I don't plug any PC's into the "WAN" port.

FYI: My workgroup is just called 'group' and it allows PCs to see each other in "network neighbourhood". If you set the name different on different PC's, then you need to select "entire network" and then select a different workgroup before you can see the other computer.

Once I've wiped my ICS installation and started again, it will hopefully work. Thanks for your help.

Hi all-

I tried wiping all my network configs: I cleared every protocol, client, service, etc. out of my network control panel, then restarted. Then I reinstalled my NIC.

Next I put TCP/IP back in and assigned a static IP for the NIC (192.168.0.1).

Then I added the "Dial Up Adapter" and TCP/IP was bound to it automatically I think.

Then I dialed up to my ISP to confirm that my Internet still worked. It did, just fine.

Next, to try sharing it again. I disconnected, and installed ICS, and restarted.

I checked out the network control panel. Present was the "Dial Up Adapter", my NIC, and "Internet Connection Sharing" as adaptors. Shown as protocols were TCP/IP bound to my dialup adapter and NIC, and to the Internet Connection Sharing device. I also found a "Internet Connection Sharing" protocol which was bound to the dialup adapter, the NIC, and to the ICS adapter. Ok... doesn't seem logical to me but I guess that's how it works.

Even after restarting, my Internet- EVEN AT THE HOST COMPUTER no longer worked. At all. I could get the connection icon in my tray, but I could not connect to any website, check my email, or ping any address outside of my LAN.

I then spent quite a while unbinding ICS from this and that, trying different possibilities, etc. But there seemed to be no way to make the Internet work.

The only way I ever got back into this forum was by unbinding ICS from my dialup adapter, which of course, renders it useless.

ICS installed- no internet anywhere
ICS not installed- internet, but only at win98 computer

I think Microsoft should be ashamed of designing something so utterly user unfriendly. I am certainly very happy to know that Tek-tips is the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back