Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Problem with hyperlinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven74

Programmer
May 30, 2001
CA
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've got a web page that creates an excel file client side and saves it to the client's temp folder. The page then displays a hyperlink (File://...) to that file. Before SP2 there were no problems, the file would open normally, but now even though the file is created, nothing happens when the link is clicked. If the file is located on a network drive there isn't an issue. I know there were a lot of security updates done with SP2, especially to better protect the user's hard drive. I just don't know which one is affecting my hyperlink.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Draven

It could be the firewall. Try turning it off to see what happens. Look under Start|Accessories|System Tools|Security Center. If that's the problem, you may have to have your clients enter an exception for your link.

Thank you both for your help. I tried changing the settings (firewall, etc.), but still no luck. In the end I opted to have an onclick event that calls a routine which shells the application. It's one way to get around the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back