Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP service pack 2 key authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

krymzon

Programmer
Feb 22, 2005
CA
Ok, i have a copy of windows service pack 2 from an older desktop and plan on installing it on a new laptop. Fortunatly, i have a spare windows XP serial number kicking around, but this extra windows XP serial number is from a windows XP CD that doesn't have serice pack 2.
So, i want to know if i can use this extra XP serial key with a copy of a windows XP (with service pack 2) CD.

--there are 10 types of people in this world. those who know binary, and those who don't.--

unfortuinately in the new sp2 you cannot do this they are very strict on this issue if you purchaced this cd that has sp2 on it and have the original key try entering it on the new computer as long as you only have it on one computer you can call microsoft if it will not authenticate and tell them you had to reformatt or you are only using it on the one pc and they will give you the new code to enter to validate it but the serial from the older one will not work on the new sp2 cd

I'm not sure what you are doing. Are you updating XP to SP2? Or are you clean installing XP SP2 onto the laptop?

If you are doing the former, no Product Key is required.
If you are doing the latter, I can't see any problem, as long as the Product Key is an unused genuine one.

Many people already slipstream later Service Packs into their old (non-SP2) XP CD's to create a new XP SP2 CD and there is no problem with Activation, it is a procedure encouraged by Microsoft.

How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source files

You will find this Procedure much easier to understand than Microsoft's description.

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

With laptop's you may find you require special manufacturer's drivers not normally included on the retail XP CD.

To answer your question as I have understood it, no, you shouldn't have any problems.

to be honest, I recently jsut baught a Mac with the intel core duo and i'm looking forward to using the BootCamp software that allows me to run windows XP natively on a Mac. But the only problem is i will need a XP CD with service pack 2 on it.
Fortunatly, you've given me a great idea Linney, so thanks for the help and the helpful links.

--there are 10 types of people in this world. those who know binary, and those who don't.--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back