Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP security issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnis

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
GB
Could people fill me in with all the secrity issues involved with XP please.

Like not being able to install on more than one computer in my home network. Or that I have to ring up Microsoft to get it to work. And anything else relevant...

If its activation you mean - you'll need a separate licence for each machine you wish to install it on. Once installed, you have 30 days to activate the installation. You can do this automatically if you have an internet connection. Without internet connection, you'll need to call MS to get activation code (which I understand is very long - 50 characters). If you use the same install disk/key to install on more than one machine, the activation will fail on subsequent machines. If you significantly upgrade your machine (3 or 4 hardware component changes), you may need to reactivate your installation (there's lots more info about this on the net - someone else will probably point you at some of it. Use Google search to look for yourself).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back