Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Security - CMD.EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojoban

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2001
CA
Hello all,

OK, I am running an app called WRQ Reflection, its a virtual IBM Terminal app for OpenVMS and Unix. The problem I am having is when a user (any type of user except Admin) tires to access CMD.EXE it states that they do not have permission to run CMD.EXE. What the user is trying to do is print a document from OpenVMS through the terminal app, then to DOS to convert the doc to a TXT file and then print to LPT1 which is mapped to a network printer. The function is called "Print to PC". I have checked my Group Policies and nothing seems to be causing this issue, the only big thing is that they cannot modify the registry. I have given full rights to everyone on CMD.EXE and all files and folders this process touches, used FILEMON, and it hits the registry to do FONT replacement only on the TXT transfer. I checked local Policies and cannot find much there. WRQ, the manufactuer of this app, says its not their app so we are not getting any support ont this. Any help would be appreciated! If anyone needs clarifying please post questions!

Thanks!

Sounds like you need to give these users rights to modify a particular bit of the registry (you can use regedit to do this, if you know which key(s) are involved - would regmon help find this?)

I have used regmon and all I can see is WRQ accessing the registry for font changed when converting the document, but hey maybe thats it, I will try that I guess. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back