Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Screen Not Refreshing fully 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodilees

Technical User
Nov 17, 2002
AU
Hi everyone

I am having trouble with a couple of computers that are running Windows XP. The screen is not always refreshing fully, it seems to leave a small window of black or if a word document has been open a small window of the document that was last on the screen. Closing all applications that are open does not resolve the problem. It only seems to go away once the computer has been rebooted. It is not only doing it with specific applications. And the user can be doing any task when it starts to do it. It is very random. If anyone can shed any light on this one I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Jodi

Check Event Viewer for error messages and Device Manager, make sure everything's okay, no yellow exclamation marks are where I'd start...make sure it's using the right video adapter and using the right drivers. (that one may make you go look for the latest ones...)
My first reaction, tho is that it's video drivers
(altho WinXP's native drivers haven't been too bad...some are better than vendors.)

Look at the refresh rate and see if a higher setting helps.

I tried this, it looked like it was working, but I have discovered that it is still an issue. The user of the computer may not have spend as much time on the computer to see that the problem was still there, I am not sure. I wonder if anyone has any further suggestions?

Regards

Jodi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back