Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows XP running very slow 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncwvpcman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
US
I have a gateway with windows xp and it is running very slow. I have run a complete virus scan and done ad aware but it still creeps like a turtle. Also went into MSCONFIG and fixed it as well. Any other solutions on how to speed it up. I was trying to find a trial of Norton System Works but Norton doesnt offer a trial and free programs to help speed it up and fix problems.

faq779-4784 may help narrow it down.

Andy.

Good work by "satrow", a few extra things to try after the FAQ. (Is that a pun?).

Maybe trying one of the many free Registry cleaners that are around.

Registry cleaner recommendations?
thread779-755465

Also see how it goes if you switch off anti virus software for a few moments.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I think we should congratulate "JeffPr" for the FAQ, my mistake, just add it to the list. And congratulate "satrow" for bringing it to our attention.

Maybe we should thank "Bcastner" and "linney" for the FAQ and mention my name for putting it together.

"We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up until now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future." ~ Max Planck

JeffPr,

A very nicely done FAQ. Thank you. Just great stuff.

It came to my attention from Satrow's post earlier, and I apologize for the mis-attribution. I congratulate you for a terrific FAQ addition, it is a great job.

Without question worth a moment of your time to read: faq779-4784

Thanks Jeff,
Bill Castner

i run windows xp home edition and im haveing a problem where when i start my computer it runs fine for a while then after it after you try to open an icon or a program from the start menu it opens like 2 minutes later...then i went into processes and ended all the "rundll32" processes there are usually about 3 or 4 and everything runs mint.... and re-installing windows is my last resort

iownthetruth,

If you have a problem it may pay you to have a look at this FAQ. Also how much RAM have you got? What's "mint...." mean?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

* mint means that its runs just like new after i end the processes...but if i dont end them ....no dice

computer info:

*hewlett-packard
*pavilion
*AMD athlon(tm) XP 3000+
*2.16GHz
*448 MB of RAM

its like two months old

Can you confirm that you have worked through the suggestions (and links) from above without success? It's just if you have we are starting to run out of ideas.

Here are some more though.

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer. Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage. Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line. Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

If the error occurred after installing a device driver or application, try using Safe Mode and removing the driver or program.

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

You can also load the Recovery Console and run ChkDsk /r to check for problems.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

I'm confuzed is virtual i though was much slower then RAM and useing less is better, Hard disk access times are much slower then ram. and once you start accessing hard disks you are just interupting other requests to the disk making it even slower. the slowest thing on a computer to day is a disk so dont use it for your fast memory. Does any1 agree or disagree? any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back