Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Remote Desktop with ICS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy888s

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
This may be a simple question and it may have been asked before, but I cant find a solution. Here's the scenario: I want to access my XP machine over the internet using the built-in XP "remote desktop connection" software. My setup at home has a cable modem going into a windows 2000 pro machine. This Win2000 machine shares the internet using Internet Connection Sharing to my XP machine and has ZoneAlarm Installed. How do I let a computer located outside my network access my XP machine over the internet? From within my network at home, the program works perfect.

I've never seen ICS support that sort of config. It's designed to let you mini-LAN out onto the internet, not let the internet into your LAN.

Hopefully someone else has an idea, however.

Oh, meant to mention --

All your problems can be eliminated with a $50 Linksys cable/DSL router, with built in 4-port switch. That would handle what you're trying to do, and each PC would have unfettered access to the internet (i.e. the main PC doesn't have to be turned on for the second one to browse).

Yes, i know a router can fix my problem and I know the all of benefits. This setup is at my father's house though and I cant convince him to upgrade to this setup just yet. For now, I'm trying to find a solution using his current setup.

Question though...If programs like Kazaa work to allow people to access and download files located on the XP machine over ICS, then why wouldnt there be a way to allow the remote desktop program to access the machine too?

Simply put, because Kazaa is designed to creatively work around NAT and go out to the internet and expose itself. It's a major pain for many corporate tech guys, trust me.

Remote Desktop just wasn't designed to function in that way. I'm sure it's doable somehow; hopefully someone else will have an idea for you.

Good luck...

On the ICS machine, look for a way to forward port 3389 to the XP machine. Also, if there's any firewall on the ICS machine, you will have to allow 3389 requests to pass through. What you're trying to do should be do-able.

One other question - how are you trying to access the machine through the internet? By the public IP address, I hope.

yes, i am using the public IP address that my ISP provides me to try to access my machine. That's the way it doesnt work. If i use the local IP and just connect within my LAN it works fine. Just i cant get a connection through my ISP IP. The only firewall is zonealarm and i've been shutting it down so it's out of the way for now.

I asked this question somewhere else too if you'd like to see what else has been discussed. as of now I still cant access my xp machine. look here:

thread779-624958 for the reply!

Zonealarm could still be causing some trouble. Set ZA to allow 3389 to pass through.

yeah...i have the free version, so i cant set specific ports to pass. So I uninstalled it....And what do you know....it didnt help!!!!!!!! glorious... =(

I'm downloading ZoneAlarmPro now so i can set specific ports though...just in case!

There can be a problem when uninstalling ZA. If you uninstalled via Windows Add/Remove programs, not everything gets uninstalled correctly. Use the uninstaller on ZA's website. You will find more info on this problem there also - search for uninstall or something similar.

I went ahead and upgraded to ZoneAlarm Pro so I could control what ports were allowed and not. I've messed around with it and everything should be set up right with it. I'm pretty sure it's not ZoneAlarm anymore....but if i get frustrated and feel like uninstalling it again, I'll remember you said that. thanks for the tek-tip! =)

I bought a router. Yes, I gave in...i feel ashamed. But hey, the remote desktop sharing finally works like it's supposed to! Time to move on to better things...

thanks for all the assistance and brainstorming though.

crazy, I think it will be the best $$$ you've ever spent, in terms of performance and ease of use. Good luck.

hahaha...it's a funny story how i ended up with it actually. Read on if you're interested. I was troubleshooting a wireless network I had installed for a local business about a year ago. And when i say wireless, i mean they were completely wireless. There are only like 7 clients...so it's a perfect, easy solution.

Anyways, I found that if I plugged anything into the router, it worked...but nothing wireless did. And this business relies heavily on the internet, so we were searching for a fast solution. After some discussion with the owner, we ended up going to staples, buying a new wireless router, and had it working in no time. But what about the old one.....haha, you know it! It had no use in their business anymore. I insisted on paying $20 US for it since it works fine with wires (the owner was just going to give it to me). And well...sometimes things happen for the best. And you wonder why i put off buying a router for so long...i just saved myself about $40 US! I love how things work out.

Oh, and a quick tip:
If the wireless portion of a router seems to have gone bad like this one did, but it works with wires...you dont have to buy a new router! After I brought this router home, I ended up taking it apart to see if maybe an antenna cord came loose or something inside. Much to my delight, though, i found a wireless PC Card! I could just pull it out like any pc card in a laptop computer (except for the glue on the bottom holding it down). I put a spare one I had laying around in there and the wireless portion started working again! I never knew...

I feel kind of guilty for buying a new router for the business now though. But they were desperate and didnt have time for me to fiddle around too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back