Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Remote Desktop connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBeam

Technical User
May 11, 2005
US
Remote Desktop Connectivity Problems.
I am using my home office computer to connect to my workstation at office via DSL and a static IP address. I get knocked offline or disconnected after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity.

using at home office: XP Pro / version 2002 / NOT service pack 2 / Pentium 4, 1.59 GHz / 512 MB of ram

Using at work: using the latest version of Novell for networking. connecting to workstation with XP Pro / version 2002 / Service Pack 2 / Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz / 1 GB of ram.

Need help...Checked "Event Registry" today (might not be related).
Details:
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Explanation
Windows unloads each user's profile and user's section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user's profile because a program was referencing the user's section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are locked and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the profile will be unloaded.

User Action
No user action is required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Knowledge Base articles
You can find additional information on this topic in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
• PRB: Warning Error 1517 in Event Viewer after First Restart
This article explains the presence of an event log warning that appears on first start after installation on Windows XP.
• Troubleshooting profile unload issues
When you log off a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: A user profile does not unload.A roaming profile does not...

If someone has a possible solution, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back