Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Remote access question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chylok

Technical User
Mar 28, 2004
GB
Hello all,

I'm looking to set up 2 computers each displaying the same screen for control applications, when I am using one unit I want what I'm doing to be visable on the other display. If the units are networked, can this be setup using windows xp remote access and be "always on"? Or am I looking at buying some software for the job?

Cheers,

Chylok

Remote Desktop opens a new session, like Terminal Server, so what you are doing on one PC you wouldn't see on the other. Remote Assistance on the other hand mimics what's going on with one PC on the other. Try that instead.

Actually, better than Remote Assistance, try a product called VNC (Virtual Network Computing), it's free and it works pretty much like PC Anywhere in that you can connect to a remote machine and see what's going on with it and control it if need be. It also includes a lot of other features that are handy.

chlok,
There are actually 3 basic ways this can happen. The bottome line is that maxthedork's VNC suggestion is the right one for you. But...

1. With terminal services, you can have numerous sessions running on the 'terminal server', and neither can see each other, and the 'live' or console session at the actual server itself can't see it, though there is a mmc dialog where you can connect to any other session.

2. With Remote Desktop, it's very similar to terminal services, but only one session is allowed, so what you'll see on the console at the live machine is a dialog similar to the windows login that says "This computer is locked...blah, blah".

3. With VNC (or Radmin or PCAnywhere which are similar) you can have one or many sessions--but they're all at 'console' level, meaning you all fight for the same mouse, keyboard, etc, so it's not a separate 'session' or login, but just a separate window into the actual console session.

Terminal Services/Remote Desktop give a better, smoother, more live-like experience, but I tend to prefer VNC. I have password-embedded VNC shortcuts to all of my kid's computers so I can, at a single click, check up on them, even from my office.
--Jim

It looks like VNC will do the job I require, I especially like the idea of using it to check up on the kids!

Is it possible to set one terminal as a Master to give it priority over other terminals?

With VNC, they'll all have equal priority if multiple people log in at once, but normally you'll want only one person actually working on the machine with vnc if it's used as a 'remote' workstation. Often it's used for training/support where you can remotely train someone on how to use an app, or to fix something remotely.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back