Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP reboots with use of DVD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

abassoli

Technical User
Jul 23, 2006
Hello, friends,
I'm having a problem with my XP home and the use of the DVDRW disc. Every time I try to use the DVD recorder - to listen to a CD, to record a CD, to watch or record a DVD - after a while my computer starts to make small sound signals and, all of a sudden, re-starts... one of these times, I saw a blue screen before restarting.
I've already changed the DVD-recorder unit (it is an LG unit, now and before), and after two weeks the problem re=started. Can you tell me wether this is a motherboard problem, software problem or DVDRW unit problem?
Thanks a lot!
ARNALDO

Have you tried swapping the connectors around on the motherboard? Assuming your Hard Drive is on one connector and the DVD-RW on another, you can just swap around the connectors at the motherboard end without any problems - if you start getting problems starting windows or writing/reading to the Hard Drive, then you know you have a faulty IDE socket (which doesn't necessarily require a new motherboard since you have the HDD and DVD-RW on the same IDE channel i.e. same IDE cable).

Another possibility is power. Try running it for a while without plugging in one or more power-hungry devices - perhaps remove a stick of RAM if you have two, or remove a PCI sound card etc. and see if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back