Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp problems logging into 03 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaster613

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2005
CA
I've got a strange problem with my windows xp pro computers
when logging onto the server 03 domain.

The computers originally had no problem logging into the domain and access the users allowed files etc. Then they stopped being able to access the server.

To fix it, temporarly at least I changed the domain to a workgroup "test" and then rebooted. On the server I also removed the computers from the list. Then on the XP computer I changed it from workgroup " test" back to the domain. It works fine for about a day then they can not log in.

ANy ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Are there any related Events in the logs?!??! EG: Trust relationship based events!?!?

No, nothing like that showing up in the event logs. But all the xp pro machines are still having troubles logging in, except when removed from the domain and then put back on...Then they can log in. But the next day after shutdown they can't.

Try removing the XP machine from the domain, rename it, and then join the domain with the new hostname.

JB

greetings-
was there any resolution to this problem?
i'm experiencing the same exact thing at a client site.
also renamed the client computer names and had the same results.
TIA for any help.

The renaming machine not going to help.
Fist thing--> check if SP2 was silently installed on clients. (Start-->run-->winver, check results).
Check if you have SP1 on Windows 2003 server installed.

Second thing-->Domain Policy/OU policy GPO, try to move machines to the neutral OU, example=Computers.

Abviously GP settings are propogating to clients.
Run gpresult in command prompt, check where the policy are applying from. Check the Default Domain and Domain Controller policy as well, if anything has been changed in security options (download a default settings paper for DC from Microsoft site as well).

I think it is a start and hope it helps,
Sam.

Hi,

No real resolution but I'll try these ideas. The XP computer are running service pack 2, and 03 server is running service pack 1. Is that a problem?

I'm having the same problem, particularly when a password reset cycle has occurred (every 90 days). Some machines are allowed access to shares on the fileserver while others are not, using the current user's password. When users are denied access, they are prompted for a username and password pair, but it won't accept their current domain user/pass, nor does it accept the credentials passed by the active session.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back