Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroboy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2006
CA
Hello all,

Don't know why there's no category for Xp pro x64, but anyways, i just migrated to it from 32-bit windows xp pro. I can't get my wireless card to work cuz it doesn't have the proper drivers for x64. Does that mean i have to get a new one that supports windows xp x64? I've tried shopping for some, but looking at the systems requirements ont he box, even well known brands like D-link and Linksys don't support x64
any clues on how i could get around this?

Are you asking us to guess the manufacturer, make and model of your wireless adapter?

Whether it is PCI-based, USB, PCMCIA or mini-PCI?

You cannot use 32-bit device drivers under Windows XP 64. There is no "workaround" for this.

The Linksys WMP54GR (with RangeBooster), using the Ralink RT61 chipset, is XP-64 compatible. Using the Linksys WRT54G in Client mode (Sveasoft or WWRT firmware) gives you an x64 compatible wireless adapter.

Most Atheros-chipset-based adapters will support x64 using Atheros drivers.

As bcastner said, if this device doesn't support x64, than your SOL. Just to be 100% sure, check the vendors site for any technical notes or drivers that might support the x64 OS.

A+ and coming soon: Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back