Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro with Office 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

epoirier

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
CA
Hi,

I Have installed Office 97 on Windows XP Pro and i have a problem with picture. When i log on administrator account is working fine i see the picture. But when i log in user account all form with picture. The backgroung picture is missing. I think is in the right of user i don't know where i can find it.

Eric Poirier

I have ran into similar type issues between Office 97 and Windows 2000.

In Excel 97 on Office 2000, if a workbook file is attempted to be openned on a W2K Pro system with Office 97, the user may get an error message like, "Permissions to use Object Denied", which then is closed out, thus the user is not able to open the file.

In the above situation that I just described, there are 2 things going on should such a user get an error message like this.

Excel VBA stuff has not been written to the registry file as needed yet.

User is setup as a Standard (Restricted) User in the W2K environment.

Since editting of the registry file is only allowed to be done by Power Users and above, this is an issue that has been caused by the conflict of the mixed environment. In this particular situation that I described, since it's only a one time deal, someone with the minimal needed W2K permission setting could open an Excel file with VBA code in it, then close it out and that would resolve the issue for the standard user.

Why is there an issue like this?

Well the security model going from Windows 98 SE to Windows 2000 or should I really state going from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 (which was initially going to be called Windows NT 5.0, but with the year 2000 coming around at the time of development, they changed the name). Along with this Security model major change, there were also a lot of other things added to Windows 2000 such as the MMC addition (Microsoft Management Console). Due to these various changes in the operating system environment, it does not surprise me that you are running into such an issue like this as there may be some sort of a conflict such as a permissions level type conflict as I have ran into several.

Another big permission type issue that we are dealing with, try as a standard user do a file search within Windows Explorer. In W2K Pro, SP4 (and all previous levels of service packs), after just a few minor seconds, the Standard Restricted User gets an error message and must either click on OK or Cancel. If the wrong one is pressed, the user then has to restart the computer system cause none of the Windows Explorer and Task bar stuff will work including the Start menu. I'm not sure how it works in Windows XP, but that's the experiences that we have had to deal with in W2K system.

As far as I'm concerned, Office 97 on W2K system is unstable.

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician
Master MOUS 2000
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back