Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro Registry entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorEd

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I am running Windows XP pro. I used Panda Internet Security software and when it came up for renewal I removed the Panda software and installed McAfee that was available from Comcast for free. Under "HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software" there is still a reference to "Panda Software" that I would like to remove along with some other references to software long ago removed. Is it OK to do this or will I be opening up a "can of worms"? I've used this site before and usually get good advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doc

1.) Backup your Registry before you do anything to it...

2.) I would use a program like, RegCleaner or such, to do this, as it takes out the guess work, if it is the right key...

3.) generally speaking, removing entries from the SOFTWARE Branch of the Registry is safe (but always use caution), as it can render certain programs unusable... see 1...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Everybody has a few "leftovers" in their Registry, if there is no noticeable problem caused by them, there is no need to worry about them.

The best Registry Cleaner (my opinion only), is JV16, but it is not free, a good free one is RegSeeker

RegSeeker.

EasyCleaner

Purchase. (one of the best there is).

jv16 PowerTools (or their cut down version RegSupreme)

A good and free registry backup program is this -

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back