Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro not recognizing partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

slikrik

Programmer
Feb 22, 2003
US
Hello, I have recently installed Windows XP and I am having trouble getting it to recognize a partition of my HD. Currently, my HD is partitioned into a 4 GB and a 16 GB section. The larger of the two contains my old Win2kPro, while the smaller one is where I installed WinXP. While in XP, I go to the Disk Management utility because I want to assign a drive letter to the larger partition, but this option is unavailable. The 16 GB partition *does* show up, but the only option I have is to delete it. It says it's Healthy but Unknown. If I boot the computer on the Win2k side, both partitions show up and are accessible.

The larger partition (which I can't acces in XP) is FAT32 while the smaller one is NTFS.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

convert the fat32 to ntfs?

There are many posts where XP can't see a parition (particularly fat320 when its been created by another operating system).

PS. You obviously have some sort of dual boot (and as win2k on second partition, I suspect not M$ XP boot loader) - what do you use? (I'm just wondering if it hides the 2k partition when you boot xp - hence the difficulty in xp).

dear slikriz:

hi, u have a hard disk have two partition one is 4gb aloacted in fat file system and other is ntfs. listen dear there is no problem by defaulf when u r using ntfs partition u can't see a fat partition ok b\c windows by deaulf hide the fat fil system.My email address is smudassir@rhc.com.pk.

thanks
S.Mudassir Ali Shah
Jr Network Engineer
Rhdc International Company
karachi, Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back