Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro Loses Password For Network Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobohost

MIS
May 8, 2009
US
hello all,

I have a weird issue with one of my systems. It's running Windows XP Pro and when we try to connect to Network Shares it will just fine however it won't remember the user name and password when it reboots. Even if we select the "Remember My Password" option. I have gone in the gpedit to make sure that the Do Not Allow Storage of Passwords option is Disabled. I also tried to go to the Manage Password Manager and add it. It's works as long as I don't reboot. When I go into the Password Manager after a reboot there aren't any entries. I'm only seeing this behavior on 1 of my 65 workstations. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks.

If it is only one machine have you tried removing it (and the users) from the Domain and rejoining them?

Sounds like you been through these but I'd thought a copy in the Thread would be worthwhile.

306992 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer in a Domain in Windows XP

306541 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

Behavior of stored user names and passwords

Hello and thanks for the reply. The computer is in a workgroup and then connects to servers via the users credentials. Normally we connect the user to the network shares and check the Remember Password box and all is good. With this system though it does not remember. I already tried manually adding the user name and password in the Password Manager and it does work if I logoff and on but once I reboot it loses the entry in the Password Manager.

Is the problem user and Administrator on his workstation?

Just as a test have you tried promoting him to an Administrator on the workstation to see if the credentials are then remembered?

Have you tried using another user (or creating one) on the workstation and testing?

Do you have the same problem if you try testing in Safe Mode with Networking?

Yes I did make them a computer admin. I did try their user account on a separate system and it worked fine. I will try another user account on their system and see how that responds but will do a little later. For now I have used a batch file with the net use command and it's working for now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks so much.

Used another profile on the system and it worked fine. I guess it could be his profile is corrupt some how.

Is it SP3 related...

I'm having the same problem with my systems. They all map to a shared drive using a valid network username and password, though this is not the same credentials as the user is logged in with.

All worked perfectly for many years and then, since installing SP3, the password gets forgotten when the user logs out and back in again. When the user tries to open the mapped drive it then locks out the account on the network.

personally I use a batch file in my startup folder to work around this -- write this in notepad, note - remove single quotes.

Code:
net use * /delete /yes
net use 'driveletter': "\\'comp. name'\'share name'" /'password' /USER'user name'

you can add as many drives as you need just start a new line for every different drive you need. Save as a .bat, and put it in your startup folder and voila, problem solved.

Beware of hackers bearing executables. Happy Hunting. 'irc.2600.net'

I've done the same thing but am not happy having the password readable by anyone.

We have found a way round by adding domain users with the same usernames and passwords as the local users on the machine. We then map the drive as each individual user, remember the password and Bob your aunties live in lover.

Still having issues on one machine that remembers the drive mapping okay now but forgets the credentials after reboot when calling an executable from a remote share. My other 17 machines are all okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back