Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIndows XP Pro Login Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiltonco

Technical User
Feb 15, 2003
US
When I first startup my computer I get the login screen. When I enter the password, the computer immediately says "logging off" and then goes back to the login screen. Then every time I try to log in I get "Saving your settings" and then back to the login screen.

I have tried to startup in Safe Mode and I cannot get past the login screen. I cannot get in even as the Administrator.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like your user profile has become corrupt and as you can't get into your machine to fix it you might have to repair your Windows installation.

You could try using this first.

Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE twice at your current Logon screen and try Logging On into Windows XP that way see if you have any luck.

Or perhaps the Recovery Console.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Click on Tutorial then the Charlie White article on XP crash.
This is a laymans version of Q307545 in simple language.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I have similiar problem bbut a little different, when I enter the SHUT DOEN command, windows automatically restarts.

I cant get it to shut down properly or auto de atcvate it at alll

Running Xp PRO
P III.
Problem started yesterrday after a minor SAVSTART.SYS error after which Windows made a dump of its memory.

Hey all,

Slight pain in the arse happening to me. Got one of my recently upgraded XP Pro desktops, its been running fine all week, but now when you try to log into the Domain, its taking ages to log-in. Once it has, I can load the company databas which is kept on the server, but its a bit sluggish. But when I try and access Outlook, I have no chance. I keep getting an error saying that the exchange server is unreachable.

I have tried the following:

Checked all network sonnections, from the back for the PC to the patch panel/hub.
Removed and re-added the machine to the domain.
Tried logging on as various differetn users.
Shutdown/re-start the machine several times.

The user profiles are roaming, but I have also deleted the local profile that existed before. But still no joy.

The last thing I want to do, is to re-start the server, as I would get lynched. But I've got the feeling this is the last option open to me at the moment.

Any others ideas greatly appreciated.

Lewis

I finally gave up. Windows XP kicked my butt! Pulled HD and copied files I wanted to save. Started up computer with a Windows 98SE boot disk and loaded Windows 2000 Professional. Everything is working fine and appears to be a more stable installation.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back