Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro License Agreement Lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelanlegend

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2004
US
I am installing (or trying to rather) Windows XP Pro SP2 on a new machine. The machine is an Athlon 64 3200+ with 512mb of RAM, with a 40GB Western Digital IDE harddrive. Everything is running fine up unti you hit enter to start the install process. The system locks up trying to display the License Agreement. Anyone ran into this before or know how to fix it?

-tech

Many problems are caused by memory "glitches". Is this a new install of XP, or an upgrade from XP to SP2? Download and run "Memtest86" (runs from DOS).

I've tried this with numerous different sticks of RAM, in fact I can't get this board to POST with more than one stick in. I've tried three different 512MB sticks of Kingston PC2700, each to no avail.

I've also tried a different power supply, different XP CD, different CD drive, and removed teh board and recovered the boards standoffs with electrical tape and reinstalled the board. Still not getting past that screen. It locks up when it says "Please Wait..." right before the license agreement should be shown.

This is a new install on a freshly formatted (today) 40GB hard drive that I know works, with an XP Pro w/SP2 disc, not an upgrade to SP2.

-tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back