Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro has lost my CD-R and my CD-RW 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy47

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
US
I bought a new CDRW a Sony CRX185A1 (32x10x40)- I had Easy CD Creator 5.0 on the hard drive - and Win XP Pro would'nt open the programme - did all the updates from Sony and Roxio and tried again nothing, so I uninstalled EZ Creator 5.0 - cleaned out the registery. Then on starting up again - found that XP had lost both CDR'S - is there anyway of getting them to be acknowledged - short of reformatting - and getting rid of XP.
I have a dual boot system and both CDR's are there in 98SE and working. But I rarely use 98SE and want to be able to use them in XP Pro.

Easy CD Creator DOESN'T work with Windows XP. Sorry....
Use Nero CD

Sorry domguido, but Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum is compatible with XP.

Lucy47,

I don't know of anything to try offhand in XP, but you might be able to dig something up at
[deejay]
~cdogg

Check out MSKB Article Q314060.

FWIW, EasyCD Creator 5.0 works with XP, but you have to install the patches in the correct order.

Thanks, But right now EZ CD Creator isn't my main problem.
XP Pro cannot find either the CD nor the CDRW - I have to get XP Pro to recognize them first.
Any clues here.....please.

Lucy47, did you read the KB article?

This is caused by uninstalling ez creator 5.01 or earlier. It leaves some registry entries that must be edited out. The full instructions can be found at On the left of the home page click on past issues and then on issue 2002-05-23 article #8. It is not an easy fix if you are unfamiliar with editing the registry so maybe you can get help from roxio.

I have to agree with MSeng, Easy CD Creator can cause this in Windows XP. Follow the instructions in the MS article, and then get the latest patch from Roxio. Easy CD Creator will make the drives disappear from My Computer and Explorer, but they will be listed in the Device Manager as disabled.

is the URL for the MS article. Sorry about the URL being incomplete, but the automatic formatting will not include the link after the ;.

Download Roxio 5.1 and it will work fine with XP.

Install powertoys and use the module that will assign drive letters (don't remember which it is but I had the same problem even with Nero). This was the fix

I had the exact same problem arise when I installed CloneCD on XP. CD burner completely disappeared from the Device Manager.

I have had some major problems with CD Writers and XP, on various machines with various burners. The major cause has been Roxio EasyCD Creator.

My latest problem is with my Phillips burner, I have not used any third party burning software since a recent fresh install of XP. Just the facilities built into XP. Once a disk is burned the CD burner will not read any disk. It still remains present in explorer and my computer but just won't read disks. My solution has been to remove it from Device manager and let XP find it again on boot up. This worked fine yesterday, today however, I can't get it to function, I haven't even burnt a disk this time and its not finctioning.

Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back