Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp pro freezes on thinkpad T20

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvdba

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2008
US
hi,
i have an IBM ThinkPad T20, 800 MHz with 392MB Ram. this laptop used to work perfect. lately, it has started freezing. this happens when windows starts and the beads roll back and force at the bottom of windows splash logo. and sometimes goes into windows, then freezes - the mouse and everything else freezes as well. any ideas what could be causing this, please?
thanks.

Can you start in Safe Mode? Check the Event Viewer for any relevant information?

If its freezing at the beads, it might be a hardware issue.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

As vacunita stated, it does sound like it is more realated to a failing piece of hardware. Try checking the disk for errors and also look in to running a memory testing tool to check if the RAM is failing.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

thanks guys,
i'll check the disk. maybe changing it to see if it makes a difference. how would i test the memory though?
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back