Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro File Sharing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2004
US
Hello. Can someone please help me? I have two computers, a notebook and a desktop computer both running xp pro. They are sharing a wired(desktop)/wireless(notebook) broadband connection Dlink 624. They are both connected to the same workgroup & can both be seen in 'my network places.' I am trying to share all the drives on the desktop & access the files on the notebook. Simple file sharing is disabled. When I try & access files from the notebook on the desktop it says "file xxx is not accessible. Access is denied." This is not in a documents folder, so i don't know why this is occurring. Also, when trying to go back to the desktop computer to set permissions, when i try to add the notebook login as a user, the only location on the desktop is desktop. How can I add the notebook location? Can the notebook user only be a guest on the desktop? Any info on all of this? This is causing a major headache. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back