Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro cannot log on to NT4 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevieh

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2001
GB

I have just upgraded 4 of our workstation PC's to Windows XP Pro and find that they can longer login to our NT4 Server (SP6a)

We are using DHCP, but if I give the PC's a fixed IP Address they can login without any problem, but I don't believe that they are reading the login script on the server, however I need to have all PC's logging in with DHCP.

I have disabled the secure channel on the XP PC's and I have entered the IP address of the Server into the DNS Address's, but it makes no difference.

Does anyone know what is happening and how to resolve this problem.

Many thanks

Stevieh

Hi,
Not sure about this but have a few suggestions:
What OS are u upgrading from?
Check to make sure that the Login script references the same folders on the XP machine and that its not OS specific.
Also check the firwall properties.
JP

Can you ping the NT4 server from your upgrade pc's? Can you ping the pc's from your NT4 server?

On the upgraded pc's, open the command prompt (start->run->type cmd and press the enter key). type: ipconfig /release and press the enter key. Then type: ipconfig /renew. Are all the subnet masks the same as that of the server?

From what OS did you upgrade from? How did you do the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back