Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp plug and play

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbybobbertson

Programmer
Nov 9, 2001
US
I have a 1394 to ide device that lets me plug a hard drive into a 1394 connection.

I was having problems with it, so I tried uninstalling the driver. Well that was dumb, because now when I plug in the device nothing happens. I have tried clicking on "scan for hardware changes" and have gone to "add and remove" hardware to try and get the driver back. Nothing seems to work. I have searched microsoft and havn't found a way to get this driver back.

I know the driver was called, "Oxford Semiconductor ltd. OXFORD IDE Device LUN 0 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device".

I know that because luckily I have another computer and it works on that one.

Any ideas how to get that driver back. Like I said, it no longer show up in the "add and remove" hardware dialgs.

Have you uninstalled the device in Device Manager then restarting the system with the drive connected ?

The drivers themselves should still be in the \\Winnt\Inf folder (which is hidden by default, so make sure you have unchecked all those annoying "Hide protected system files .." boxes)

Regards.

SL

Did you try System Restore to a point before you uninstalled the driver?

Yes, I did uninstall the device in Device manager. That is how my problem started in the first place. I also tried rebooting with the device connected, and it didn't help.

Where is the \\Winnt\Inf foler. I am showing all the hidden folders, but still don't see it?

Thanks, Linney. I thought of that system restore point very late last night and it worked. I'd still like to know,however, how I would go about fixing the problem without the restore point.

Yes, I did uninstall the device in Device manager. That is how my problem started in the first place. I also tried rebooting with the device connected, and it didn't help.

Where is the \\Winnt\Inf foler. I am showing all the hidden folders, but still don't see it?

Thanks, Linney. I thought of that system restore point very late last night and it worked. I'd still like to know,however, how I would go about fixing the problem without the restore point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back