Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP PC can't see another Windows XP PC on the Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil8

MIS
Mar 3, 2006
US
We just moved off the SBS 2003 Server onto a 2008 Server a town over via VPN. I didn't want to move the huge access database over so I put it on a local Windows XP pc, made the share and connections. Two Windows XP PCs worked just fine, the last one (which of course belongs to the boss) cannot see the PC on the network. I can see the other two, but not the one with the database. I checked Simple File Share, I added a hotfix for 2008 Client Extensions checked the shares on the database pc, but so far I can't figure out what next to try.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

On those not complicated by anything outside local access I try ping first to verify that there is a path, then shutdown the firewalls, followed by ipreset and winsock reset. This assuming that the network names match.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

To add to what edfair said, try pinging the database computer on a working computer by name and by ip address and then on the non-working computer by name and ip address. I would assume the working computer comes back with replies whether pinging by name or ip address. What does the non-working computer do with each type of ping.

If ping by IP address works, but not by name, then try this.
ping -a "ip address of database computer" What does it return as a name?

Post the ipconfig /all output of a working machine and a non-working machine.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back